Delicious Homemade “Kitten Perky Jerky”
I’ve passed on a lot of my favourite doggy treat recipes on the blog so far, but I realised we were sorely lacking in delicious, super easy to make treats for my other little babies. Here’s one that I’ve recently discovered is an absolute favourite for cats of all kinds. Best of all, you know exactly what’s going into them, so there full of just the good stuff.
2 pieces of fresh deboned salmon
One other thing- I recently purchased a food dehydrator, so that’s what I’m using to dry the salmon. It’s possible to use an oven, it’s just not quite as precise.
1. Before you start, leave your salmon in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Don’t let it freeze, just let it get slightly firm so it’s easier to slice it up.
2. If you’re using an oven, preheat to 90°C
3. Slice the salmon into pieces of about 3.5mm. It doesn’t have to be that exact, but try to keep them similar thicknesses so they all dry at the same time.
4. Place the fillets of salmon on your baking tray or into your dehydrator.
5. For a dehydrator, set to 65°C.
6. Leave your jerky in the oven for 4 to 6 hours. This is where you have to play it by ear- you want your salmon to be pretty close to completely dry, enough that it bends and tears without snapping.
7. Leave your salmon to cool, and store it in an airtight container.
8. Voila! a purrfect little treat for your furry family! – both my cats and dogs adore this!
xx The almost pawfect parent
Ready for an appointment?
Our team is here to answer your questions and get an appointment scheduled for you.