Our Puppy Pre School programs are now being held in the park behind Taylors College right near My Vet Animal Hospital in Waterloo.
We understand that when you first bring your puppy home it is a very exciting but busy time!
Our Puppy Pre- School experience is second to none…
It is carefully designed to get you and your puppy off to the best possible start.
- A five week comprehensive program run by our Delta Accredited instructor Kim Doran,
- We use motivational training for both dogs and their owners
- We hold a Graduation Ceremony on completion of the course. Your pup gets to dress up in our graduation outfit for some beautiful photos that will become wonderful mementos.
On completion of the course you will also receive:
- Your Puppy Pre School graduation certificate,
- A goodie bag full of fabulous freebies!
- New doggy friends to meet up with in the park.
- A puppy with some really good basic manners,
- And a real sense of achievement.
Puppies can enrol from 11 – 16 weeks
Our positive reward-based training methods are designed to motivate your dog to work for you out of trust and respect, rather than fear.
Handouts and videos on what we cover are emailed after each lesson and we are happy to give online and phone support.
Our classes are held through MY VET ANIMAL HOSPITAL
Puppy classes are held on weekend afternoons.
This depends on the program you book into.
$230 / 5-week program. $30 for graduation cloak and hat.
Theory & Practical lessons
Our first lesson is mainly theory based and is held on ZOOM. You will be sent helpful handouts and video demonstrations on practical exercises you can get started on after the lesson.
The next four lessons are all practical and are held in the park behind Taylors College right near My Vet Animal Hospital.
At the moment there can only be a maximum of 20 people in the group due to Covid-19 restrictions. We usually have a maximum of 5 to 6 pups per group which enables us to give everyone all the attention they need.
What your puppy will learn:
- The Basics: Your pup will learn basic cues like sit, look, touch, down, relax on your mat and stay, to name a few. These foundational skills will help you as a team, to negotiate our busy urban environment.
- Loose leash walking: Prevent pulling on the lead before it even starts. We’ll help you teach your puppy how to walk nicely on lead from the very beginning.
- Sit to greet: The jumping may be cute when they’re small – not so much when your puppy grows up! We can show you how to teach your pup to sit to greet from an early age.
- Recall: A reliable recall is vital if you want to give your pup the freedom to be off-leash in the dog park and play with their friends.
- Management: Life in the city with a puppy has its challenges. As you know literally everything goes into their mouths! We can help you teach cues like “drop it” and “leave it” so you can manage these challenges and more.
What YOU will learn:
- How to “speak dog”: Being able to read your puppy’s and other dog’s body language is absolutely essential and allows you to determine how they are feeling. Then you are able to make better decisions based on what you see, and you will end up with a confident, well-balanced, and happy dog.
- Toilet training: We can show you how to train your pup where the toilet is – in a positive way. You will learn the keys to success and have your puppy toilet trained in no time.
- Socialization: Puppies go through several (critical) socialization periods that can be pivotal in how they turn out as adults. We can show you what to expect and when, and how to safely socialize your puppy at their pace.
- Alone time: Being able to leave your puppy alone at home is something we all should be able to do. However, pups need to taught that our departures are safe. We can give you expert advice on how to avoid separation anxiety and raise a dog who is comfortable in its own company when left alone.
- Problem-solving skills: Like humans, dogs go through several different phases in their development. From fear periods to rebellious teenagers. We can give you the necessary skills to successfully navigate your way through these stages in their life.
What to expect:
Our first lesson is theory-based, covering all the important topics including toilet training, managing biting and chewing, alone time, sleeping arrangements, setting boundaries, and the importance of socialization.
Each week, you’ll receive clear instructions on what you should be working on outside of class. Training puppies takes time, patience, and consistency, but it is SO worth it and its fun!
Real life situations
We will give you the confidence to apply what you and your puppy have learnt in classes to real life situations. We will also teach you how to prevent problem behaviors from developing in the first place.