Happy Holidays, friends! We hope you have a wonderful festive season, full of fun, family, friends and delicious FOOD. Before we take off on our break, we wanted to check in with you about some holiday hazards for your pets, so you can relax and enjoy yourself without the added stress of a sick pet or an emergency vet visit!

 Chu is ready for some Christmas action!

 

I don’t know about you, but it’s hard for me to resist the smells of a Christmas feast cooking. I usually sneak into the kitchen to “sample” all the dishes before they’re ready. Dog’s noses are up to 100,000 times more sensitive than ours. So imagine how much more difficult it is for your dog to resist sneaking into the kitchen to eating something forbidden!

Most dog owners already know feeding chocolate to your dog is a big no-no. (That doesn’t mean he won’t figure out a way to get into your chocolate stash, of course. Eating Christmas chocolate is one of our most common emergencies at this time of year.) But there are many other foods that can cause your dogs to become sick over the holidays.

– Grapes and raisins/saltanas
– Onions
– Garlic
– Avocad0
– Xylitol (found in sugarless sweets as an artificial sweetener)
– Cooked bones
 – Macadamia nuts
– Chocolate
– Coffee, tea or anything containing caffeine

Other holiday hazards include:

Human medications

….Especially those belonging to visiting houseguests who may not keep them in pet-proof containers. Most human medications are NOT safe for pets. If you have visitors who take any medication, make sure they put them up out of reach of nosy pets. And call an ER right away if they get into those meds!

Paracetamol is highly toxic to cats and dogs. They should never be given!

Lilies

Households with cats should not have any lilies in the house, because these are very dangerous! Even licking the pollen or drinking the water in the vase can be highly toxic and can cause acute kidney failure. If your cat has any contact with lilies, call your vet right away.

Time to invest in other flowers! 🙂

Fatty Food

A sudden rise in dietary fat is associated with acute pancreatitis and acute gastroenteritis (inflammation of stomach and bowls). Dogs love to camp out by the barbecue, hoping a snag will fall or licking up the drippings that fall to the ground. So if your dog scores a sausage by accident, well, it happens! Watch him for vomiting and diarrhea over the next few days and call a vet clinic at first sign of illness.

Fatty foods like sausages, fries, burgers, and bacon are a no no for pets!

Fireworks

Fireworks can scare a cat or a dog into running away from home, where they can get hurt or lost. Make sure your pet is secure indoors before the fireworks start. And just in case, make sure he is wearing a collar with your address and phone number, and his microchip details are up-to-date.

Thundershirt is little jacket that works by giving your furbaby the hugging effect. It works well for pets that are afraid of fireworks.

P.S. If you live in a place where it freezes over the holiday season (I’m looking at you, friends in the Northern hemisphere), be careful of antifreeze. This car additive tastes and smells sweet to dog and cats, can be found on the ground under leaky cars and is VERY dangerous. So if your pet licks up anything that you think may have leaked out of car, go to an emergency centre right away!

Hope all you furbabies are now prepared for the holiday season! Happy Pawlidays and stay safe!

Ready for an appointment?

Our team is here to answer your questions and get an appointment scheduled for you.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This